Monday, April 12, 2010

INVALID BLOCK TYPE Install error 11g


Sometime over the past weekend, my colleague emailed me mentioning that 11g R2 Database server install is failing with error . INVALID BLOCK TYPE

Now what is that??????

Keeping in mind that there is not much to go by. I had one thing to check is that  11gR2 build are 2 huge zip files









Now with files these big , there is one thing that I would definitely advice is to do checksum validation.
With every download from Oracle, there is a digest or checksum provided with the file to crosscheck with downloaded files. Eg below






You can do these checksum validations from any platform for any platform (For HP UX Installations from LINUX Machine)
On Linux this utility is part of standard build.


I did the cksum utility on 2 files which had been downloaded
 On the files that were existing ( Check values in bold that is checksum no and other no. is size)
Run of command came back as


I asked my colleague to download the installation again and new files came back with the checksum run as below (Watch the numbers are matching)

 
You can use cksum or md5sum utility whichever information is provided to compare with.

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
Fun and Family loving guy.

Introduction

Hi All,

Welcome to Oracle Enthusiasts Blog. Bit about myself, I am Irfan Khan working in IT since past 15 years always trying something new. Somewhere in my career Oracle Database brushed me in a positive way and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of this product and also the no. of products Oracle Corporation has.

I was indeed a Developer then got opportunity to be a Junior DBA and then career moved to full fledged Senior DBA.

Though I have worked with lots of Oracle Technologies , you will be surprised with the nature of Non-Oracle assignments I have been pulled into.

Followers